Tug Jupiter (1902)
Beam: 22 ft.
Draft: 9 ft. 4 in.
Tonnage:147 gross tons
The tug Jupiter was built in the Philadelphia shipyard of Neafie and Levy in 1902. Built of out charcoal iron, she was made for the Standard Oil Company and christened Socony #14. From 1902 to 1939, she was in service in New York, towing Standard Oil fuel ships and barges. In 1939, she was purchased by Independent Pier Company to work in Philadelphia. After World War II, she was converted from a steam tug to diesel, using the salvaged port engine from a decommissioned Landing Ship Tank (LST).
In 1999, the Jupiter was purchased by Penn's Landing Corporation and turned over to the care of the Philadelphia Ship Preservation Guild.
Currently, she takes part in educational programs, festivals, and boat parades. The operation and maintenance is performed by a volunteer group of active and retired tugboat professionals and enthusiasts.
Jupiter is moored at the north end of Penn's Landing, alongside the Lighter Barge Poplar, just upriver from Gazela.